Tuesday, February 28, 2006

New! Exciting!

Today I had an appointment with my prof from last term, the one that kept spouting theoretical garbage until I wanted to whack him (or sit on him; he is not even five feet tall). On the way there, I ran into my Ph.D advisor, who gave me good news. So much good news!

In order of (wildly increasing) importance:

1. He thinks the kind of textual analysis that last term's prof does is 'the kind of thing that drives students away from literature' *happy dance* So glad to hear that semiotics doesn't thrill everyone!

2. I have to take another seminar course this fall. Guess what? HE is teaching one, on Shakespeare and Identity. I can write my papers in English! Plus, he is the most fabulous lecturer I have had the privilege to hear.

3. His current research (ethics and identity) ties right into my previous research on women's utopias and gives me a springboard into the nineteenth century work I want to do. He managed to articulate what I wanted to do better than I did without making me feel stupid, so FINALLY I have a concrete direction in which to take my dissertation (currently not started). Basically, I will be analyzing certain characters and how their actions define their personality. It sounds kind of boring now, but just wait!

4. He has applied for a research grant. If he gets it, he will be (ooooh, wait for it...) paying me to do research on Shakespeare. Paying.Me.To.Research.Shakespeare. Is this light-years ahead of teaching surly mechanical engineers to conjugate 'to be'? I think so.

5. Crowning glory: He is supposed to teach two undergrad lit courses this fall. He won't be able to teach both. Barring any serious snafus, guess who will be teaching the Modern Poetry class?
Guess. Go on. Guess. Give up? Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! And? Just to add the umpteenth layer of icing, he said 'Well, I concentrate on Eliot, Yeats, and Frost. You can choose anyone you want.' Okay. University classroom. Free hand with curriculum. Oh.MyGod.


Of course, numbers four and five are still up in the air. Still, even with numbers one through three, I cannot lose! I get a great course this fall and I have a direction for my research.

I am so thrilled. Please, have a drink and some poutine on me!

19 Comments:

Blogger Puffy said...

First a fabulous new Beeloop baby and now all of this! 2006 is your lucky year!

9:54 p.m.  
Blogger arkie said...

How wonderful for you! *raises glass*

But I will pass on the poutine.
*smooch*

10:49 p.m.  
Blogger Seana said...

Can you feel the "happy for you" over there? Cause I'm as happy for you as I could possibly be.

However - and I can't stress this enough - poutine is gross.

12:02 a.m.  
Blogger Breezy said...

Yay!!!! Congrats Nutty! *smooch*

8:20 a.m.  
Blogger Schnookie said...

Wow! I'm thrilled for you Coco! Good luck on the last 2. It all really does sound wonderful.

*HUGS*

*digs into the poutine*

10:33 a.m.  
Blogger Swami said...

Congratulations Coco on the multiple scholarly possibilities that are lining up for your pleasure!

Shakespeare and Modern Poetry! How versatile can you get!

have i ever mentioned my strange fascination with e e cummings? I like when the little old balloon man whistles far and wee. He's modern, right?

10:44 a.m.  
Blogger Supes said...

Are you gonna make the drink?

I could use a squirt.

12:30 p.m.  
Blogger Monstah said...

Oooooo! Yeats and Eliot! We must get you a tweed balzer, pipe and brandy glass. You have the wired framed glasses already so you are good to go there.

(Frost? He makes for an odd man out in that trinity, no?)

1:41 p.m.  
Blogger Monstah said...

Oh. And since it has been forever since I green posted I want to add:


Dork.

1:42 p.m.  
Blogger Monstah said...

I want Coco granola! I want Coco granola!

3:54 p.m.  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

Omigawd! How fabulous for you Coco! I hope #4 & #5 happen for you along with 1-3!

*pours champagne all over blog*

4:35 p.m.  
Blogger mtw said...

What I heard:

Blah blah blah Good news! blah blah blah blah blah icing (yummy!) blah blah blah blah blah I am so thrilled.

Yay. I'm happy that you got so much good thrilling news. Can I have some cake to go with my icing?

7:19 p.m.  
Blogger Sneezy said...

Streams of joy, bliss and general happiness from Sneezy! You deserve it.

P.S. How much luck can one person have? Do you have extra horseshoes somewhere I don't know about????

10:03 p.m.  
Blogger HistoryDetective said...

Congratulations, Coco! As a fellow Ph.D. candidate in the Humanities, I truly understand the significance of all this! So much good news all in one day!

I laughed at #1 since I seem to be incapable of speaking "lit crit." My friends and I still laugh about the guy at a conference who asked, "How hermetic was the hermeneutic?" Prior to that, I never knew that it was possible to make Shelley's Frankenstein completely incomprehensible.

8:02 a.m.  
Blogger momma said...

Hooray! That sounds wonderful and you seem very excited about it all. Congrats.

11:34 a.m.  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

I had a dream I was babysitting Phillipe last night. You lived in a huge modern waterfront house with lots of family (do you have a sister? You did in this dream). There was a concrete boat ramp by the house that had wooden walls & ledges beside it. I set Phillipe on the ledge while I waded in the water (good idea, huh?). Oh, and he wasn't chubby at all. He was the size of a doll, with a long neck.

He was fine after hanging out on the ledge. So I went to change his diaper, but there were three other babies living in the house & I couldn't find his boy diapers. So he had to go diaperless. For some reason, I wouldn't put pink girl diapers on him.

Gawd, don't ever let me babysit. I'm obviously a complete nut.

11:56 a.m.  
Blogger Immunegirl said...

Yay!! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! :) :) :)

3:02 p.m.  
Blogger Zombs said...

When it is cold can you make the milk come out like soft ice cream? Can you make swirly cones?

4:42 p.m.  
Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

WOOT!

Congratulatory happy dance!

1:21 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home