Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Well, April IS Cancer Month

My mother-in-law was diagnosed with leukemia today, just out of the blue like that.

We're going down to QC tomorrow, and will likely be gone until at least Tuesday.

Take care of yourselves and spare a couple of good thoughts for her.

31 Comments:

Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

Hugs for you and double hugs for the GFB.

8:34 p.m.  
Blogger Sneezy said...

My thoughts are with you and your family. I don't wish cancer on anyone but she does keep a lot of anger bottled up and the energy has to go somewhere...

11:30 p.m.  
Blogger Jen said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. How awful. Thoughts are with you and fam. *hugs*

11:48 p.m.  
Blogger Zombs said...

I hope it all works out for you!

We will miss you.

8:08 a.m.  
Blogger BlindSlim~CSTL said...

Huge {{ hugs }} and well wishes are on the way.

8:52 a.m.  
Blogger Schnookie said...

All my best wishes are being sent to you and your family Coco *BIG HUGS*

9:00 a.m.  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Oh coco, I'm so sorry to hear this. You know we're here for you if you need to talk. *hugs*

9:13 a.m.  
Blogger Swami said...

Even MILs deserve good thoughts now and then. As much as they may try us at times they sure produced some nice, marriageable guys! For that alone they deserve our best.

*faces NorthEast*
*broadcasts good thoughts*
*hugs the Coco clan*

9:23 a.m.  
Blogger Breezy said...

Good thoughts to you and yours. *hugs*

10:08 a.m.  
Blogger Breezy said...

Good thoughts to you and yours. *hugs*

10:09 a.m.  
Blogger mm said...

{{hugs}}

You are all in my thoughts.

1:57 p.m.  
Blogger arkie said...

{hugs} to you and your family.

Good wishes being sent your way.

7:36 p.m.  
Blogger Seana said...

Oh dear. Good vibes to MIL. Many good thoughts for you and your family.

9:59 p.m.  
Blogger yvonne said...

Sending *hugs* and *good vibes* your way.

9:49 a.m.  
Blogger momma said...

How awful! *hugs* to you all.

10:31 a.m.  
Blogger Immunegirl said...

Oh no!

((((hugs))) to the whole Coco family.

12:38 p.m.  
Blogger Coco said...

Brief update from SIL's computer:


MIL is starting chemo today, which does kind of give one faith in the universal health system (she was diagnosed Wednesday afternoon). She is feeling okay, but we were all disappointed because the kind of leukemia she has is one of the acute varieties with only about a 20% survival rate after three to five years. It doesn't seem to be too advanced yet, so that's a plus.

On the other hand, the fact that she is ill is going to set off a major firestorm in this family (she has been acting as housekeeper to Eric's closest sister, who is the guardian of the two nieces). Imagine the horror of a 14-year-old and a 16-year-old who have never done any work in their lives having to suddenly start sharing an equal part of housework. Add to that the fact that Eric and I are taking the dog (like we need a dog) because the sixteen-year-old, whose dog it is, fobs its care off on everyone else, and we are in for a big blowup over the weekend.

Thanks for all the good vibes. Happy Easter.

2:18 p.m.  
Blogger Sneezy said...

Extra sympathy for the dog and the cat-cousins. I'm sure they won't be happy either. Sounds like a good time for those nieces to have a reality-check about their own importance...

(Note to others, I have met MIL and nieces)

8:53 p.m.  
Blogger Sneezy said...

I am also glad for universal health care. Sending comfort and joy to the Cocos.

8:54 p.m.  
Blogger momma said...

Oh boy. A two year old, a newborn, a sick MIL, fighting family AND a new dog? Yikes. Wanna come visit?

*hugs*

9:41 p.m.  
Blogger Bravie said...

I'm sorry to hear that. Sending good thoughts. *hugs*

10:39 a.m.  
Blogger Swami said...

Good for you, Coco, taking in the dog. You are a saint. Is it a mostly indoor dog? Hopefully it is a child-friendly dog so Dominou can find it interesting!

Someone needs to give the teens a little Step Up To The Plate pep talk. Maybe they'll surprise you. I hope so! It's a watershed moment for them.

Bummer on it being an acute form of leukemia...

11:14 a.m.  
Blogger lights said...

Swami said it, even MILs deserve good thoughts at times like this.

I'm sorry to hear this Coco. Sending love, hugs and healing thoughts to you and your family.

Hope the new dog ends up being a good houseguest. What kind of dog is he/she?

*huge hugs*

12:59 p.m.  
Blogger Glowie said...

Good thoughts, Coco. *hug*

9:58 p.m.  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Still thinking of you coco, and those poor, poor teenagers. God forbid they start doing housework. The horror! :-)

It was very kind of you to take the dog. I know that's added stress you really don't need, but maybe it will work out for the best.

9:53 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sending good vibes your way. I'm so sorry Coco.

10:24 a.m.  
Blogger Swami said...

I'm just here for the warm feeling I get when I open your blog.

*basks in the Coco glow*

I hope things are going okay.

3:25 p.m.  
Blogger Puffy said...

Sending warm feelings, good vibes, healing thoughts, healthy wishes, and less stressful times your way.

11:45 a.m.  
Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

I mentioned this to Mr Bob. I said how awful how must be for those girls who have lost their parents and now facing a possible loss of grandma.

Mr Bob's comment "I think those kids are bad luck. Tell Coco not to take them in."

Love ya

4:21 p.m.  
Blogger yvonne said...

Thanks for the update. You and Eric are so sweet for taking the dog. Hope it works out for everyone, including the cats. :-)

*sending more good vibes north*

10:18 a.m.  
Blogger Coco said...

I am still here and everyone is accounted for, more or less. MIL is reacting reasonably well to chemo so far. We are in QC again and have been dogless thus far.

Major update at some point. Thanks for all the good wishes.

7:33 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home