Doug?
Well, we've had a busy weekend, but I want to save any discussion of mushroom hunting for the other place, because Bob doesn't blog, and I took some beautiful photos just for her.
My other pressing concern (aside from the fact that my house is a complete rubbish heap) is the name for Doug. We had a terrible time figuring out what to call Dominic, and he was actually three days old before we named him. It isn't that we hadn't thought about it; we even "took" two names to the hospital (Dominic and Nicolas). It's just that when we saw him and realized he was real it was difficult to make that final decision.
So. Help us out. Make comments. Please be honest. I can take it. Plus, I'm not deeply attached to any of these names really. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted, but the names do have to work in French and English.
Our current list:
Philippe, Joseph, Pascal, Sebastien, Nicolas, Julien, Francis, Patrick, Laurent, Simon, Daniel, Xavier, Gabriel, Thomas, Guillaume.
Our vetoed names: Valentin, Victor, any form of Stephen/Stéphane, Louis, Henri, Alexandre, Michael, Charles.
My other pressing concern (aside from the fact that my house is a complete rubbish heap) is the name for Doug. We had a terrible time figuring out what to call Dominic, and he was actually three days old before we named him. It isn't that we hadn't thought about it; we even "took" two names to the hospital (Dominic and Nicolas). It's just that when we saw him and realized he was real it was difficult to make that final decision.
So. Help us out. Make comments. Please be honest. I can take it. Plus, I'm not deeply attached to any of these names really. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted, but the names do have to work in French and English.
Our current list:
Philippe, Joseph, Pascal, Sebastien, Nicolas, Julien, Francis, Patrick, Laurent, Simon, Daniel, Xavier, Gabriel, Thomas, Guillaume.
Our vetoed names: Valentin, Victor, any form of Stephen/Stéphane, Louis, Henri, Alexandre, Michael, Charles.

20 Comments:
I like Xavier, Joseph, Nicolas and Simon. In that order.
FTR: Carey can also be a boy's name.
Patrick, Nicolas, Joseph.
Actually I love Patrick. For boys I just love old fashioned, strong names. I also love names that give someone the choice to go by a nickname later one.
We were going to name Annabelle, Lily. I think I have told you this. She was definately going to be that. All my life I was going to have a girl named Lily. DH holds her up at hospital and says "Say hi to our little Lily!" and I cried "No she does not look like a Lily!"
All those names are pretty good but I am the least fond of Sebastien, Pascal and Laurent.
I love Joseph. One of my biggest regrets is what I named my daughter, so make sure you love the name before you write it on that birth certificate.
p.s. Why did you veto Michael?
I adore Philippe, Nicolas, Gabriel and Julien. Hyphen names are probably out? I like the name Paul very much and it works in both English and French very well.
My only concern is your obvious lack of attention toward your own Canadian heritage. So to that end, I am going to suggest Alan Thicke or Lorne Green. Two GREAT Canadians, and lets face it, there are not many.
And a little monstah trivia: when I was seventeen: a cool fall night in Paris, a couple of bottles du vin, some smokes and a sexy guy named Sebsatien became a hallmark momment in my love life.
Xavier and Julien.
Nicolas, it made the list both times you were preggers.
ACK! I wrote a really long reply and it's GONE!
I vote for Nicolas, Sebastien and Xavier.
The rest either have squicky memories attached or are boring or girly.
btw - I wanted to name Rotten1 Dominic. Ex-DH wouldn't have it. Refused. So we ended up with Devin.
Thanks for the input. It's good to see everyone's opinion.
MM, we vetoed Michael because it sounds stupid in French (mee-KAI-ell) and has just gone through a period of being really trendy, and thus misspelled in numerous and ugly ways (Mikael, Mickaiel, etc.).
LOL at Monsty's hallmark.
And Zombs, the Lily/Annabelle mixup is just what I was afraid of, and the reason why we did not choose one name before he was born.
Well, I'm glad that's why you vetoed Michael. Conner's first name is Michael. It flowed better as Michael Conner than Conner Michael.
I don't like Doug and was a little worried there for a moment. I love Nicholas and Patrick.
When I hear Pacal, I think of Pappy from Survivor. In grade school I had a crush on John-Sabastien.
Okay. My comment got deleted and now my play time is all messed up because I have to repost.
What about Paul? As I mentioned in the ghost post, Paul works well with both french and english spelling. Guillaume. Does that suddenly switch to William for the english?
One name on your list bothers me.
And also, I want to point out that Phillippe works well with Dominic. Dominic and Phillipe sound adorable together.
I have a Michael, too. He was named after my father though, not because it was an original name. It is a classic, I know it's been popular but has it ever not been?
I don't know why, but I'm not crazy about Xavier. Maybe because my capital "X"s are really ugly.
WAIT!
Coco, you cannot, I repeat CANNOT name your child Patrick. Unless of course, there's a third child to be named SpongeBob or Squidward at a later date.
I really like Michael, Boo; it's a timeless name and I think it's great. It just doesn't work for our situation.
Monsty, we have thought about Paul. I still wouldn't completely rule it out. It just sounds a little odd with the last name. Jean-Paul would work, and I like that, but Eric says an absolute, categoric no to any nom composé (for a boy. Had Doug been a girl, her name would probably have been Marie-Élise. Either that or Geneviève).
Is it Francis that bothers you guys? It has a very precarious position, and I'm still trying to figure out how much I like it.
Momma, I had not thought of that. Good point.
I love Patrick, Daniel, and Thomas. But there can be no dumb nicknames like Danny or Tommy. You must insist everyone call him Daniel or Thomas. Pat is okay as a nickname, but Patrick is so much more commanding.
I'm sure the second you see him you will know the right name. But, if you are gooned up on pain meds you might want to wait a bit before you sign the birth certificate. We don't want any accidental namings that poor little Leslie/Gomer/Rufus/Bubba is going to have to live with until he's old enough to change his name and blame you for all his woes.
I like Philippe, Gabriel, Julien, and Laurent. Simon is good, also.
*Goes to check Secret Santa list for Coco's last name*
I agree with Augie about the nicknames. My husband is "Michael," and he really does not like "Mike." As he says, my name is "Michael."
I'm not wild about Francis. I grew up with a Francis Joseph, who we called Joe. I like Francis more for a girl and combined with another name.
I have a different last name than Eric and Dominic and the new baby. The government frowns on people changing their last names. Most people either hyphenate or live with it.
I really like the names Philippe, Sebastien and Nicolas. As long as you don't shorten Philippe to Phil. Would make me think of Dr. Phil *EWWWWWWWWWW* Julien is also a nice name.
Joseph, Francis and Gabriel sound too religious to me. Francis, Gabriel and Daniel sound feminine.
Pascal also reminds me of Pappy from Survivor. *waves to Boo* Besides, wasn't there a store chain in Canada named Pascals?
Simon reminds me of Simon from American Idol.
I have no opinion on the names Thomas, Patrick and Laurent only because they are names of peeps I know.
Xavier and Guillaume would be too difficult for me to pronounce LOL.
Whichever name you choose, it'll be just right for the baby. You'll know, just like you knew with Dominic. *SMOOCH*
I like Philippe, Nicolas, Thomas and Laurent. (I know Laurent does not fit with the other ones I like, but I know a guy named Laurent and it is fun to say his name.) *smoooch*
I definitely like Nicolas the best. I like the name Sebastien a lot too, but it makes me think of Glowie's dog.
I'm kind of on the fence about Julien.
I hate the following names: Pascal, Francis, Laurent, Simon and Guillaume. With Francis and Guillaume being the worst of the worst. JMO, obviously.
Why was Alexandre ruled out? I like that one.
Post a Comment
<< Home