Real Food
I had my Christmas get-together with my community service group tonight (suddenly I have become President, but that's another story). We went to a very good restaurant.
Now, to understand how excited I am about this, you have to understand that there are three main types of restaurant in this area. Number one is the greasy spoon, specializing in poutine and hot dogs and fried chicken. Number two is the "buffet chinois", often featuring onion rings, pizza, and hotdogs in sweet and sour sauce. Number three is the sit-down restaurant, which often looks fancy but which has the same damn menu everywhere (you can still get poutine, but there are also steaks and tired seafood. Obligatory sides are converted rice, overcooked frozen veggies, and very white buns in little bags).
I had my doubts about this restaurant, because it's new, and even though the decor was very nice and it had received rave reviews, it still had the potential to be a Number Three in disguise. Even the menu, though there were two kinds of sweetbreads and no poutine, rang a small warning bell (how can you have a ceviche of grilled scallops? Grilling scallops takes away from the whole point of a ceviche..yeesh).
Well, it turns out that this was a genuine restaurant. The first proof of this was that the bread was a chewy, homemade sourdough. The butter did not come in little plastic tubs, but was actually in little rosettes on a plate. Laugh if you like, but the nature of the bread and butter is usually a strong clue as to how good the food will be.
To start, I had a feuilleté of snails (snails in a herbed cream sauce, on a little triangle of puff pastry) that was delicious. The sauce was delicate but not over-garlicked, the snails were tender, and there was just enough pastry to sop up the sauce.
The soup was the most ordinary thing about the meal; it was a fairly standard puréed vegetable soup. Eh. Served in very nice bowls, though, with proper spoons (another hallmark of a good restaurant).
My main dish was osso bucco of local venison with a parmesan risotto and asparagus. Leaving aside the fact that this is not the time to serve asparagus, it was very good. The venison was very very tender, though the sauce was a touch salty, the risotto was creamy without being glutinous, and the asparagus was actually flavourful and not woody at all.
Dessert was a little mousse cake, served with a slice of what I can only call fruitcake toast. It sounds weird, but it was absolutely delicious. My only criticism of the dessert was that they had too many flavours; the cake was hazelnut and chocolate, but there was a raspberry coulis and a bunch of chopped fruit on the plate, plus the aforementioned slice of fruitcake and a ground cherry. I would have nixed the fruit and the coulis, and just left a little cocoa on the plate; the dessert didn't need the fruit element. Still, when this is the most serious critique I can make of a meal, I'm happy.
Coffee was excellent, strong and fragrant.
I think I may have had a perfect day. I'm not even too full.
Now, to understand how excited I am about this, you have to understand that there are three main types of restaurant in this area. Number one is the greasy spoon, specializing in poutine and hot dogs and fried chicken. Number two is the "buffet chinois", often featuring onion rings, pizza, and hotdogs in sweet and sour sauce. Number three is the sit-down restaurant, which often looks fancy but which has the same damn menu everywhere (you can still get poutine, but there are also steaks and tired seafood. Obligatory sides are converted rice, overcooked frozen veggies, and very white buns in little bags).
I had my doubts about this restaurant, because it's new, and even though the decor was very nice and it had received rave reviews, it still had the potential to be a Number Three in disguise. Even the menu, though there were two kinds of sweetbreads and no poutine, rang a small warning bell (how can you have a ceviche of grilled scallops? Grilling scallops takes away from the whole point of a ceviche..yeesh).
Well, it turns out that this was a genuine restaurant. The first proof of this was that the bread was a chewy, homemade sourdough. The butter did not come in little plastic tubs, but was actually in little rosettes on a plate. Laugh if you like, but the nature of the bread and butter is usually a strong clue as to how good the food will be.
To start, I had a feuilleté of snails (snails in a herbed cream sauce, on a little triangle of puff pastry) that was delicious. The sauce was delicate but not over-garlicked, the snails were tender, and there was just enough pastry to sop up the sauce.
The soup was the most ordinary thing about the meal; it was a fairly standard puréed vegetable soup. Eh. Served in very nice bowls, though, with proper spoons (another hallmark of a good restaurant).
My main dish was osso bucco of local venison with a parmesan risotto and asparagus. Leaving aside the fact that this is not the time to serve asparagus, it was very good. The venison was very very tender, though the sauce was a touch salty, the risotto was creamy without being glutinous, and the asparagus was actually flavourful and not woody at all.
Dessert was a little mousse cake, served with a slice of what I can only call fruitcake toast. It sounds weird, but it was absolutely delicious. My only criticism of the dessert was that they had too many flavours; the cake was hazelnut and chocolate, but there was a raspberry coulis and a bunch of chopped fruit on the plate, plus the aforementioned slice of fruitcake and a ground cherry. I would have nixed the fruit and the coulis, and just left a little cocoa on the plate; the dessert didn't need the fruit element. Still, when this is the most serious critique I can make of a meal, I'm happy.
Coffee was excellent, strong and fragrant.
I think I may have had a perfect day. I'm not even too full.

36 Comments:
Garlicked. Now even I know that *has* to be wrong. But blinding grammatical error aside, I am very happy you had a good meal. The menu sounded wonderful and a good night out is always good for the soul.
(And now that you are President you are going to need some sort of Secret Service? Keep Bravie and me in mind. We have past experience and we both pack heat.)
You spelled moose wrong. And moose cake sounds weird even without the fruitcake toast.
She is a mess, Lightsy. Suddenly, she has become this reckless grammararian. What a fall from grace. I blame it on hubris. It is always the hubris that causes the fall.
I write a somewhat amusing restaurant review and this is what I get? Good grief.
Well the snails did not find it so amusing.
Zombs<===speaking up for the snails.
What? I praised you up there?
But, it does sound delightful and when you come to visit we will most definitely will fine dine. (Remember gentle readers, fine does not always mean $$$$$) We have similar culinary tastes, you and I.
I am going to write a Best Friend song for us. Be right back.
I am not going to worry about invertebrates. In fact, I would eat more snails right this second, if I had them.
*sticks out tongue at Zombs*
Mm.. does 'fine dining' involve listening to these songs?
Fine dining is where all the popular pregnant hockey players eat at.
Of your list of adjectives, zombs, I am only actually pregnant.
Have a snail.
Sounds like a wonderful evening.
IMPORTANT FACT:
There is no difference between snails and slugs once the shell is removed.
just saying
Also, why you always got to be hating on the sweet and sour hot dogs?
Sounds heavenly. Except for maybe the whole snail thing.
Oh eeeeeeeew! BOB! Thats disgusting.
Bob is correct. In fact all slugs can become snails. Some just grow shells.
Some snails are more ambitious I guess.
I meant some slugs are more ambitious.
You give a good review Coco, even if I didn't understand half of it.
Sweet 'n sour hotdogs? *SNORT*
*makes mental note to never cook for Coco*
Bwah!
Funny, Coco. You sound so French when you talk about food. I had no idea that small town Quebec was so devoid of good eating places. In my mind French cooking = always good. But sweet & sour hot dogs? LOL!
Well, so much for dining with you.
(come.on)
I remember, as a kid, watching my mom rinse and scrub snails to cook for my dad. They kept trying to get away by crawling despirately up the sides of the sink, at a snails pace of course. It seemed so unfair.
Then one day I found a live snail hiding behind the can opener on the other side of the kitchen door. One of them got away! I was so happy on behalf of snailkind!
I named him "Rocket Richard" after that olde tyme famous Canadiennes player and he lived happily in a big mason jar right up until he died.
Good old Rocket...
Swami, you're killing me. Rocket Richard!
Monsty, I promise not to utter the word "labia" in your presence ever again.
Also, Tchookie Cookie, I would be proud and honoured to eat with you even if it were sweet-and-sour hotdogs with yucky converted rice. *smooch*
Yeah, Rocket was long gone by the time I was born & started watching hockey. But I remember watching his little brother Henri before he retired.
Hey - there's a French name for you! Henri.
LMAO at Swami.
Black labia? *gasp* Coco!!!! *WHACK*
I would definitely not be making sweet 'n sour hotdogs for you. We'd have perogies and poutine *grin*
Did you ever decide on one of our French names from the baby poll the other day?
*snort* This is one of the many reasons why I love my Swami so!
Sorry Coco dear, I'll try to be serious for a mintue. I can actually relate to your description of Quebec dining choices seeing as that is all I have to chose from unless I want to drive 45 minutes from home. We don't even have the third kind here. My choices are Subway subs, pizza or Chinese at the Hong Kong.
But I still believe that moose cake is wrong.
Perogies. Mmm... I love perogies. *drool* I wish I had some for lunch, now. It's your fault.
What, lights, no chip truck or Casa Grecque? Scary.
Sonya, we won't decide until we see him. We're taking the three names with us and will decide when he shows us his face.
I remember the Casa Grecque. I actally miss having chicken souvlaki.
The chip trucks are all closed for the winter so I didn't include them. Casa whatsit?
We do have three sit down places in town but none of them have anything fancier than a steak on the menu. One is attached to a motel and has great breakfasts. One is a cafeteria style place where you slide your tray along the rail and pay before you go pick a table. Classy huh? The third is about the best we have to offer. It's the popular bar in town at night and the most expensive place to eat during the day. The food is decent but nowhere remotely close to fine dining.
Nookie? Want me to cook the perogies?
LOL. Sure Lightsy, you can cook the perogies.
*makes mental note to bring fire extinguisher*
Casa Grecque does have good steaks, I'll give them that, but their sauces are packaged, their rice is converted, and their salad bar gives me hives.
But I'm picky.
Perogie dinner at Nookie's! I'll bring the sour cream!
I have always spelled it pierogies. That extra "i" adds a lot of flavor you know.
Also, right after I left your lovely blog a few hours ago I realized I had turned the venerable Montreal Canadiens into girly-men. How come you didn't berate me or whack me or something?
And FTR, Rocket did not look the least bit like black labia. He was a manly slug, he was. Macho even.
You are right Swami. I keep forgetting to spell them pierogies.
Rocket was manly. Although he made me think that he had a hairy back. Don't know why LOL.
LMAO @ the whole slug/snail thing. Rocket the escaped snail?
Also moose cake? *snort*
In fact, this whole thread is making me gasp for air.
*gasp*
See?
Poor Seana.
In California? Every restaurant is a number three. Even the greasy spoons serve fresh sourdough with real butter.
And asparagus? Is always in season. Don't see much venison, though. Lots of ceviche and lots of sushi. No venison.
Post a Comment
<< Home