Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Busy day, busy day

I have lots to do today; in addition to the regular house tidying/child feeding etc, I want to plant some of my garden, make a cake, get Dominic to make a card for my mom, and wash the floor (the refrigerator repairman is coming tomorrow and I shudder to think what that is going to look like).

I thought of something my friend's dad, a very old-fashioned Eastern European man, said in the months following his wife's death : 'No wonder women are petty. Everything they do has to be done and redone.' (He had never done housework prior to her death.)

Do you agree? Discuss.

19 Comments:

Blogger Swami said...

We are not petty! We are (mostly) patient and particular. That guy should have had to raise his own children too.

Petty. Hmmpf!

9:32 a.m.  
Blogger Swami said...

Yay! I got to be first!

Are you putting in your cold weather vegetables?

I have the world's best cleaning under the refrigerator story (Lights knows it too.) I will blog it some day.

What kind of cake are we having today? I have cool whip!

9:35 a.m.  
Blogger Lasann said...

I hope you meant Pretty, 'cause that's how I read it!

9:38 a.m.  
Blogger Surveysez said...

Nope, sorry, not petty. Petty does come, however, from too many years living with someone who considers what his partner does as of little or no value.

10:46 a.m.  
Blogger Schnookie said...

I don't understand his use of the term petty in this case. I might say some of us get resentful because we have to redo the cleaning jobs over and over again because they just keep getting dirty and noone else helps out. That's normal though.

Yummy cake! Lucky Dominou. You seem to always be making cakes.

10:54 a.m.  
Blogger Monstah said...

*leans forward,speakes into the microphone*

I will disagree.

*pause*

Circle gets the square!

But for real, I feel as if I have been doing the same tasks over and over again for the past ten months. On some level, I can relate to his sentiment. But as woman, it probably sounds better coming from me than it does from Count Chocula, Eatern Euro man.

10:55 a.m.  
Blogger Bravie said...

I'm petty.

11:24 a.m.  
Blogger Bravie said...

{ sings } I feel petty, oh so petty... /singing

11:25 a.m.  
Blogger Surveysez said...

is that Carey Petty & the Heartbreakers singing?

11:35 a.m.  
Blogger Zombs said...

I don't think I am Petty at all.

Sings "Don't come 'round here no more..."

11:36 a.m.  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Morning, coco. Do you have a Whippits hangover?

12:05 p.m.  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

"It ain't pretty when the pretty leaves you with no place to go."

Oh wait, wrong band.

12:06 p.m.  
Blogger Coco said...

*whacks everyone*

I'm back. I took Dominic outside to play and plant (we got onions and lettuce done before Beeloop decided that the stroller was boring). Then I brought him back in to give him lunch, and he was so tired that I just put him to bed instead.

Beeloop and I made a double batch of ginger cookies and a chocolate layer cake. Dominic and I will ice the cake later on. Do you guys think orange icing or cream cheese icing?

Anyway, back to the petty. I think that he has a point.. maybe it's just that housekeeping is so essential and mundane that it limits one's viewpoint. I find myself getting all worked up about minute changes in my life (establishing specific mealtimes or deciding to sweep the floor before I go to bed) and I think it's a bit petty myself.

But! If I were thinking about changes in scheduling in a job situation, would it be petty?

I am rambling. *eats another cookie*

1:07 p.m.  
Blogger Schnookie said...

whippit, whippit good
{/Devo voice}

1:40 p.m.  
Blogger Swami said...

Orange icing would be wonderful because I know you woud never use any nasty artificial flavor stuff.

Everything I write punning on petty/pretty is pitiable. So I'm just going to whippet with Nookie for a while.

1:49 p.m.  
Blogger Surveysez said...

Cream cheese icing should always be reserved for carrot cake. For a chocolate cake, why not tint the icing green and make it peppermint flavour? What ever the icing ends up being, please, I'd like a glass of milk with mine. Thank you.

2:19 p.m.  
Blogger Schnookie said...

I still say it's not petty. Consider your home schedule as your job schedule. You have huge tasks in the home. Two children, housework, meals, laundry, etc. You have to make some kind of schedule so that you don't go out of your mind. If scheduling things minutely make you sane, so be it. I don't consider it petty at all.

In a work place situation, if a minute scheduling change affects a lot of people in a bad way and it's not efficient, then I would consider it petty. Especially if the said person making the changes is doing so because he/she wants control of the situation.

I would only consider minute home work load scheduling changes petty if it were based on a control issue. However, it's you who has to do all the work so you really should have the control.

I'm rambling so I'll just go in the corner and play a little whippet with Swami *grin*

Oh, and go with the orange frosting. MMMMMMMMMMMM I love the combo of orange and chocolate.

2:28 p.m.  
Blogger Swami said...

Nookie, you have a little frosting right there on your chin.

*licks it off*
Better?

Also? You said the smart stuff I was unable to think of because I was in a petty v pretty mindlock. I kind of lost the big picture. Plus, there was cake! How am I supposed to think properly when there's cake?

3:15 p.m.  
Blogger momma said...

I tend to agree with Monsty on this one. While it's not petty to us moms, it can look that way to an "outsider" not used to dealing with the same repetitive shit day after day after ... you get the idea.

On the other hand, I've become a lot more relaxed about the household chores being redone daily as the kids have gotten older. I just don't have the time or desire to deal with it all on a daily basis. Maybe if I was home during the day, but I just cannot deal with that, sports practice, work, homework and dinner.

7:32 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home