Thursday, March 08, 2007

No news

is no news.

I am not enjoying my new teaching job in the adult-education sector. There are five different levels in a class of 20, and most of them just want the class to be over.

My short story class is nearly done, but we haven't had class for two weeks and I am unmotivated. I just want to be finished and get on to my research.

bleah.

12 Comments:

Blogger kim (weltek) said...

That's usually been my experience in rooms of "adult learners." It's a bit frustrating for you I'm sure.

I've learned through the process not to whine and ask for exception since I chose to work full time and get my degree. Although, I usually tried to innocently sneak that fact in somewhere so the prof at least knew my situation. If I missed a class or something, at least they just didn't think I was a drone slacker.

I really think accelerated degree programs are causing a real strain on learners and educators. Many programs will let just about anyone in, even learners that really aren't prepared for rigor. And educators are in your shoes, trying to teach really, really academically diverse students.

12:23 p.m.  
Blogger Swami said...

Five different levels of what?

12:47 p.m.  
Blogger Coco said...

Kim, you are so right. Some people are very bright, and some are not, let's say, academically inclined. It's tough.

Swami, I have five different levels of English ability. There are two who can barely string three words together, half a dozen 'false beginners' who have problems structuring sentences in the simple tenses, ten or so who are early to mid intermediate (i.e. they can use past, present and future), and two that are functionally bilingual. It makes for some tough lesson planning.

1:45 p.m.  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Ack Coco! You really DO have some challenges!

4:27 p.m.  
Blogger Swami said...

*points up*
What Kim said.

5:05 p.m.  
Blogger Bravie said...

Want some canned peas and Doritos?

7:33 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My biggest challenge with adults is that they can't use f-ing apostrophes. *grin*

I deal with this problem all too often it seems. I have one class that is full of students (adults) who just don't want to do anything on their own. They want the instructor to just give them answers. They complained that the instructor did not give the same problems on a quiz that he gave as examples in class. Do you know how hard it was for me to say, "Are you f-ing kidding me?"

Boo <---------can't remember if it's okay to drop the "f" bomb in here.

5:09 p.m.  
Blogger Sneezy said...

Coco, Aleta wants your blog - is that okay?

10:54 p.m.  
Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

But it's Spring!

4:19 p.m.  
Blogger Coco said...

sneeeezy!

Yes, give it to her. I want to hear about her baby!

8:01 p.m.  
Blogger Sneezy said...

Apparently cute as can be.

12:10 a.m.  
Blogger Island Mummy said...

Hello. It's me! Baby IS adorable and lovely and one year old today.
I am new to this whole blog thing and don't have any pics of her up yet.
Maybe later tonight I'll get up her birthday party pics.
Nice to see your babies and read a bit about your life now. As usual you seem to be insanely busy!

10:47 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home