Saturday, January 07, 2006

We're home!

A day early, because we missed our firstborn and the hospital mattresses are murder on stitches.

Sorry for the lack of updates, but everything was kind of a zoo. I started having mild contractions around eight, but they didn't get close or regular until eleven. I kind of hung around, in the bath and the bed, and then we decided to go in. We got to the hospital at 1am; I was at 3cm.

Philippe was born at 2:48am. For some reason, he was in a mortal hurry, and thought I did get an epidural, it kicked in for about the last three contractions (i.e. the pushing contractions). It never did freeze me far down enough (can you say second-degree tear?). I can honestly say that I have never wanted to give birth naturally, and now I know why. It was the most unpleasant experience of my life, bar none.

Back. I'd forgotten the baby sense that allows them to want to eat as you are eating.

Anyway, the delivery was awful, but he is here and I'm glad. He is sort of funny-looking, to be completely honest with you; he has hair all over, lots of it, and long long wrinkled fingers and toes. His nose is crooked and his eyes are puffy. Still, we're not going to send him back. He's been pretty good so far, nursing like a complete pro (one of the nurses said "I see your baby read the handbook") from the delivery room on. He isn't really big on sleeping by himself yet, but I guess he needs to adjust.

As advertised, Dominic is totally enthralled. Philippe is HIS baby. He ran to kiss him when he got home, fussed because I tried to cover Philippe instead of letting him do it, said "Shh Dodo" about eighteen times when the baby was napping, says "Sad baby" when he cries, etc etc etc. I'm sure the honeymoon period will wear off, but it's nice while it lasts.

I'm pretty tired and starting to feel the third-day blues, but Mom and Eric are both here and so I should be able to rest. Hope you're all well and I'll try and catch up in bits and pieces as I can. Photos maybe tomorrow.

28 Comments:

Blogger yvonne said...

Congrats! So happy that all is well (despite that tear....ow, ow, OW!)

*big hugs* to the Nutty family.

Can't wait for pictures.

2:40 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so happy for you. Sorry about the tear.

*baby smooches*
*toddler smooches*
*mommy and daddy smooches*

3:12 p.m.  
Blogger arkie said...

Congratulations!
{hugs} & *smooches* to you and your family.

3:32 p.m.  
Blogger Monstah said...

Yeah. Your'e kind of yesterdays news.

3:42 p.m.  
Blogger Monstah said...

KIDDING! Sooooooo happy you went with Phillipe! I cannot wait to see pictures! Sorry you had a lot of tearing. Start the stool softner now!

I am sure he is beautiful and I am sure Dominic is loving him!

*cringe* I remember the pain of my late epidural...at least I kind of do...I kept passing out every two minutes...wow. ow. Blinding white pain.

We missed you!

3:44 p.m.  
Blogger momma said...

Ouch. Take care of yourself!!

*hugs to all*

3:45 p.m.  
Blogger Bravie said...

Welcome home and congrats.
*poot*

3:47 p.m.  
Blogger Monstah said...

A poot from Coco could bring tears to her eyes becuase of the sticthes.

3:55 p.m.  
Blogger Monstah said...

I want one more now. Now I want to be pregnant.

3:56 p.m.  
Blogger Zombs said...

*cues music*

You know Monsty, Annabelle was 6 months old when I got pregnant with Jack.

4:50 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a scrumpin' in comin'.

5:02 p.m.  
Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

Eek. I was thinking now that you'd had the baby I would be spared the scary birth stories.

Aren't you supposed to be all doped up on the happy hormones that make people think this is a good idea?

5:13 p.m.  
Blogger Immunegirl said...

Congrats to the Coco family!!!!! *Hugs* and *smooches* all around. I am so happy for you (except for the whole tear part. Ouch!)

(PS Bob...No, I think she and Monsty are trying to scare me away from ever having babies ever.)

6:15 p.m.  
Blogger Zombs said...

WElcome home Dougie! Or may I call you Doogie?

I hear you have some hair! Did mommy's ankles reduce a little?

6:32 p.m.  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

Welcome home, mommy!

Sorry about the painful delivery. :(

Darn! My guess was off by 7 hours and 50 minutes!

7:26 p.m.  
Blogger Monstah said...

Are we going to have to put up with horrible syntax and misspelled words in your blog for the next several months? I see several in your post.

Also, I have been reliving childbirth for the past 48 hours. I have decided that the pain is beyond any words or any description. It is as if someone put a time bomb in your uterus. It rocks your entire being. I just remember vomiting, holding on to the side of the hospital bed and screaming and then white pain and then...temporary blackout.

Again, I am sorry you had to have an episiotomy.

7:57 p.m.  
Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

Sounds like Zombs was right about the Saskquatch baby.

Dominic sounds super cute.

8:54 p.m.  
Blogger Swami said...

Welcome back! There's no place like home, is there?

Hooray for a quick delivery! And don't worry about the tear. I assume you were properly stiched up, and things heal really quickly down there post-delivery.

I had 4th degree tears with my middle child. It didn't feel too bad but the look on Tom's face when I tore was complete horror. Utter & complete horror. But? Ten days later I was playing the piano again so it's all good.

Give Phillipe a little hug and be glad he read the handbook!

9:09 p.m.  
Blogger Puffy said...

I think we all need to learn how to spell Philippe. What's his middle name?

10:25 p.m.  
Blogger momma said...

Get lots of rest. How long is your Mom going to be there? What about Eric? Does he get months off?

*smoooooooooch*

btw - Devin was like that with Kayla. It lasted until she was about 2 and started taking off with his stuff.

10:34 p.m.  
Blogger Zombs said...

How is the cervix yet? Are you ready to get pregnant again?

11:28 p.m.  
Blogger mtw said...

Yay, Coco family!

I'll bet Puffy's really proud that he has here eyes!

Zombie, you are evil. :-)

3:38 a.m.  
Blogger Monstah said...

Pip. Philzie. Phil-miester. I can't decide what to call him.

8:18 a.m.  
Blogger Schnookie said...

Congrats Coco and welcome home! I love hearing how Dominou is reacting to to the little one. Too cute. Can't wait to see pics!

Lots of love to the Coco family!

*HUGS*

9:31 a.m.  
Blogger lights said...

Congrats Coco! I'm so happy for you and Eric. Dominic is being a much better older sibling than I was when my sister came along. From what my Mom has told me I was not the least bit happy about her arrival. Mind you, I was 6 and quite used to being the centre of attention.

Sorry to hear about the tearing. Stitches suck bigtime. I remember watching AND feeling them stitch me up. Shortly after we came home from the hospital, Dave and I were watching tv bloopers. My advice to you is to avoid that situation if possible. Uncontrolled laughter is painful. The more I laughed, the more it hurt and the more Dave laughed at me. Don't worry, I got him back after his vasectomy. *evil grin*

Give Dominic and Philippe a kiss for me.

11:17 a.m.  
Blogger Puffy said...

Why thank you, MTW, now that you mention his puffy eyes, I do see a resemblance.

12:25 p.m.  
Blogger Seana said...

Welcome home, Coco and Philippe! That Dominou is such good boy.

Hope you are enjoying the quiet little moments.

How do you know what degree tear you had? I had 15 stitches with DD and 6 with DS

12:48 p.m.  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Congratulations! *Big smooches to everyone*

3:07 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home