Hockey rinks,
It's another beautiful weekend here in the back of beyond. We had lots of festive snow, which inspired us to buy a Reddi-Rink kit in order to build a hockey rink in our yard. When we opened the box, the kit turned out to be basically a plastic bag. A 10x20 plastic bag, but a plastic bag nonetheless. We filled it up with water yesterday and left it overnight, hoping to find a skating surface in the morning. Well, it didn't freeze, so now we have a 200-square-foot plastic bag of water in our yard and nowhere to skate.
The upside of the warm weather is that it is the perfect temperature for snowmen and snowballs. Dominic and I made a huge snow fort and had a great snowball fight. We laughed like loons and got soaked. He is so fun when he is not whining.
Flip is just hilarious right now. He walks more than he crawls, has two teeth and one more on the way, and has turned his focus to talking. So far he has said Papa a few times, Mama once, and some noises that could mean Hi and Up. He also tries to repeat what we say, which is pretty darn hilarious. He loves the cats (he is currently trying to chew PITA's tail) and loves to toddle around holding things. Unfortunately, he is also a climber; in the last three days he has tried to scale the bookshelf at least four times.
We are doing okay. I am still in the mad end-of-term rush, correcting papers and writing one. Eric is finished his labs, lucky person.
My cookies are going out tomorrow, so I apologize for the delay. I figured better send them on a Monday fresh, rather than have them sit in a post office all weekend.
The upside of the warm weather is that it is the perfect temperature for snowmen and snowballs. Dominic and I made a huge snow fort and had a great snowball fight. We laughed like loons and got soaked. He is so fun when he is not whining.
Flip is just hilarious right now. He walks more than he crawls, has two teeth and one more on the way, and has turned his focus to talking. So far he has said Papa a few times, Mama once, and some noises that could mean Hi and Up. He also tries to repeat what we say, which is pretty darn hilarious. He loves the cats (he is currently trying to chew PITA's tail) and loves to toddle around holding things. Unfortunately, he is also a climber; in the last three days he has tried to scale the bookshelf at least four times.
We are doing okay. I am still in the mad end-of-term rush, correcting papers and writing one. Eric is finished his labs, lucky person.
My cookies are going out tomorrow, so I apologize for the delay. I figured better send them on a Monday fresh, rather than have them sit in a post office all weekend.

8 Comments:
Oh you crazy Canadians and your snow and ice.
So, OK, the rink: you fill a big plastic bag with water and it freezes. You skate on the surface and rip the bag? Or is there some kind of containment thing, like a little fence?
I had thought about getting one, but wasn't sure how it would work. We don't have tons of space.
Are you making fun of when I sent my cookies out? *squinty eyes*
For a rink what you need a low spot and an edge, 2x4s will do. Once the ground is frozen good you lay down roll plastic and flood your low spot every day so it freezes. After a few good floodings you have a rink. (Just about every yard has a low spot. You start there because the water will pool easily and you won't have to fight gravity to get your starter layer of ice down.)
Kids these days. Everything has to be a "kit".
I don't make fun of Swami, me.
*whack*
Seana, we thought it was a kind of base, but no, it's just a bag that you rip the top from. I don't think we'll be buying it again, though. We'll go the old-fashioned route.
Does the old fashioned route involve huskies or canoes?
I get those two confused.
Where I come from, hockey rinks are made out of interlocking plastic tiles. The skate blades consist of four wheels per skate.
*smile*
Coco, I just send you a PM at the other place.
Know what I would do? Put food coloring in the water. I bet the kids would like that.
Or she could add packages of green jello. Then there would be a nice, festive color for ice skating and when spring came they would have a jello-wrestling pit! You're brilliant, Zombie.
Post a Comment
<< Home